Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Jesus in Kansas

I am sitting here surrounded by boxes. Leaving Kansas makes me want to write about some of the many ways I have seen Christ here. I have seen so many incredible people, I wish I could write about all of them. But here is a start.

Keith Johnson was the Junior Warden of St. James years ago. He was a concert pianist and music teacher. He loved to work at the church, care for the building and organize parishioners. Then he suffered from a major stroke.

Imagine not being able to play your music, or even to speak. He has difficulty walking. His thoughts don't arrange themselves clearly into sentences. His life was completely altered forever, and yet, he does not feel sorry for himself. Time and again, he has called me to his house to ask what he can do for the church. Finally, we came up with an answer.

Keith brings a small stool with him and places it in the bride's room, at the entrance to the sanctuary. He comes early to our 11:15 service every Sunday and he greets people. He holds out his hand and warmly says hello, welcoming them to worship. He is wonderful at this and I see Jesus whenever I watch him. Even though he cannot say much, there is no one better at welcoming people. In Keith, I catch a glimpse of Christ.

More stories on Jesus in Kansas will be coming in the next few days...

In Christ's love,

Kate+